[MPlayer-users] Which card should I buy for TV-out?

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Sun Feb 17 15:24:02 CET 2002

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Attila Kinali wrote:

> I think this method is the cheapest one.... if it really works :-)
>
> http://www.sput.nl/hardware/tv-x.html

It does work.  I built such a cable and tried it out.

Trouble is, it needs a VGA card that is able to generate PAL/NTSC video
signal - which requires rather a low dot clock.  Also, to get the full
vertical resolution the card must be able to make interlaced video.  Many
now can't.

I couldn't find any card which:
 - had X XVideo support
 - could do the PAL frequencies, and
 - had interlaced support.

So in the end I abandoned this approach.

Steve