[MPlayer-users] DOCS rewrite?

Robert Munro ramunro1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 17 22:24:02 CET 2002

gabor wrote:

> On Sunday 17 February 2002 15:00, you wrote:
> > As for the format I think HTML is ok but if I were the one who had
> > to write the docu I would stick to plain text. Because you can
> > view it with a browser, too and you do not need any bloated
> > program in order to view it. I guess its best to use plain text
> > and html (for the online docu)
>
> what about using something like xml ( docbook...). with that you only create
> the content once, and then convert it into a representation ( like html,
> plaintext, pdf, ps, etc.)

This is an _excellent_ suggestion.  On your website, you could let the reader
choose what format to download - if they have their browser plugins set up
right, the document (html, pdf, text) could be opened to view automatically, or
they could use "Save Link As" to download and save the file.  Flexible.

The documentation should also be in the CVS tree (I haven't looked to see).

Finally, how about adding a table that shows the capabilities and drawbacks of
the various video cards?  That might get the vendors interested in providing
information and perhaps even making the cards easier and better with MPlayer.

MPlayer is great software - good documentation will make it even better.