[MPlayer-users] DOCS rewrite?

Robert Munro ramunro1 at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 18 01:29:01 CET 2002

Attila Kinali wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 13:09:08 -0800
> Robert Munro <ramunro1 at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > MPlayer is great software - good documentation will make it even better.
>
> Hm... did you ever read the docu ? It's imho great.

I read the "docu" when I installed MPlayer, and I just now took another look.

You think it's great.  I think it is verging on overwhelming for a new user.

There's too much detail presented too quickly and densely to be able to find and
quickly use what one needs to do to install and start using the product.  But
most Linux users will forgive the MPlayer team for this:  you're coders, and
you're rightfully proud of all the formats and options you're supporting.

Think simple, hierarchical (complexity hidden at the top level but available),
and accessible:

  What is MPlayer?  (a brief description, links to format descriptions etc.)

  Installation (overview - prerequisites, must compile, codecs, fonts, etc.)

    What Do I Need In Place?  (The prerequisites and where to acquire them.)

    What Must I Download?  (base software, codecs, fonts with all pointers.)

    Configuring, Compiling  (configure, make, make install steps for users.)

  And so on.... you get the idea.

Maybe it will help if you can get non-developer users to write a dumbed-down
users-level introductory document with links to all the advanced complexity.

Just suggestions, just trying to help...