[MPlayer-users] Which card should I buy for TV-out?

Thomas Larsen thomas at kampvogn.dk
Mon Feb 18 17:08:01 CET 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 00:22, happy at happyfishy.com wrote:

> I built a movie player box for my TV with a gf2mx. I'm happy with it, it
> supports Xv and accelerated OpenGL on the TVout. I can't compare to g400
> TVout though.
>
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 10:39:54PM +0100, Szabolcs Berecz wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, daniel carter wrote:
> >
> > > Yup, a cheap Geforce2-MX would be a great choice.
> >
> > So, what should I buy, a second-hand GeForce2-MX, or a
> > second-hand g400? I prefer g400, because it has framebuffer support
> > in the linux kernel, and I think it must have better picture quality.
> > On the other hand, the GeForce2-MX is faster. hmm.

Everybody talks about g400. I got a g450, I have tried to browse the
mailinglist-archive but there it seems like this card is not supported
by mga_vid, is that true? The manual section which describes mga_vid
says:
"This section is about the Matrox G200/G400/G450/G550 BES (Back-End
Scaler) support, the mga_vid kernel driver."

I'm confused. I haven't tried it yet and would just like to ask before i
build a box for testing it.

/Thomas