[MPlayer-users] Jerky/Juddery/interruptible output - COMMON ANSWER

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Feb 24 15:50:02 CET 2002

Hi

On Sunday 24 February 2002 15:04, Nick Kurshev wrote:
[...]
> > > So try new benchmark first!
> >
> > hmm
> > IMHO the max benchmarks are meaningless, u should at least count the
> > number of frames which are too slowly decoded, instead of finding the
> > slowest one
>
> If one frame requires > 100% of CPU usage therefore next will be dropped :(
> So it's o'k.
agree, but showing the number of frames which need more than 100% would be
nice too

> Else what's hell I have interruptible output during watching this movie?
> (average benchmarks shows me that performance of my CPU is enough far for
> that).
hmm, if u want zero framedrop, than max benchmark is usefull
a larger number of buffers would help, 2 are not enough imho, i guess 3 or 4
should solve this

> > i saw this juddery playback too, but imho its not cuz a rare keyframe is
> > decoded too slow (as appearently u suggest)
> > what i saw is that if i playback the same movie with the same commandline
> > its sometimes perfectly smooth and sometimes nearly all frames are
> > juddery, and that only happens if double buffering is used so i guess
> > that somehow the displayed frame is the wrong one of the 2 in the buffer
> > sometimes ...
>
> If you saw it on your mach64 - then it's ok because compiler writes during
> compiling mach64_vid: #warning MACH64 VSYNC WAS NOT IMPLEMENTED!!!
> It causes jeddering on your card! But Rage128-Radeons have implemented this
> function and it was dissapeared for weeks for me.
iam allready working on vsync for mach64 ;)

[...]

Michael