[MPlayer-users] "Windows Media Audio V2" work with MPlayer?

Jonathan Thorpe thorpe at linuxmail.org
Mon Feb 25 12:55:02 CET 2002

There are a number of online radio stations which I've been listening to on Windows machines, but it's quite pointless to listen to an overseas online radio station if you have to setup a Windows machine just to do so.

With all of the Win32 libs that MPlayer has, as well as the ability to play ASF (video) with "Windows Media Audio V2" and mms:// protocol support, what's stopping audio-only streams from being played (yes, I do realise this was mentioned in one of the FAQ)?

One stream in particular I'm trying to play is this one: http://5fm.megawan.net/5FM

According to Windows Media Player, the format of this is "Windows Media Audio V2 16 kbps, 16 kHz, mono". I've tested this a few times with MPlayer 0.60 with the player being able to connect with the server and actually download data with no errors at all. The program just sits there though - silent, not playing the audio.

What would be involved with modifying MPlayer to play such streams?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,