[MPlayer-users] ERROR: libdvdcss error: css error: ioctl_ReadCopyright failed

Stephan Anstötz Stephan.Anstoetz at esa.int
Thu Feb 28 10:17:01 CET 2002

Dear all,

I successfully installed the MPlayer 0.6.0 onto my system (SuSE 7.2,
Kernel 2.4.4-4GB).
Before that I installed libdvdcss 0.0.3 and libdvdread 0.9.2.
Installation went fine (as far as I can see).
As mentioned in the installation guide I fulfil all the requirements
(binutils  2.11.2, gcc 2.95.3, XFree86 4.0.3 with Xv installed,
make 3.79, SDL 1.2.2 and all necessary development packets)

When I try to start the player with "mplayer -dvd 2" I get an error
message:
[snip]
libdvdcss error: css error: ioctl_ReadCopyright failed, make sure DVD
ioctls were compiled in
libdvdcss error: css test failed
libdvdread: can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO
[/snip]
and can't play the dvd which is actually in the drive. I found that the
requested file is in a subdirectory.
Do I have to specify the path? What are ioctls?
(I have to admit that I am rather new to Linux and sometimes it's very
hard to succeed.)
I used the drive with an other player (xine) and it worked well. But
after installation of MPlayer also this one is no longer running. :-(
The fact that I wanted to install MPlayer was to play also VCDs in one
single player which xine obviously can't.
Can it be related to the fact that I have a Combo-Drive
(CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD, which is in a Laptop, HP XE3)?
For this reason I had to "fake" my IDE-Drive as a SCSI device. A
symbolic link in /dev is pointing to my drive (/dev/dvd -> /dev/hdc)

Has anyone any hints or solution for this?

Thx in advance
Stephan