[MPlayer-users] mplayerxp

Diego Zuccato diego at otello.alma.unibo.it
Thu Feb 28 13:40:02 CET 2002

Diego Zuccato wrote:
> Just reporting: using --enable-xp reduced CPU usage by the video codec
> from 48% to about 35%, but increased from 49% to 51% usage by the audio
> codec. About 50% to decode an MP3 seems a bit too much (xmms, according
> to top, uses about 0.3% ... according to wmmmnn sometimes reaches 10%),
> but finally it doesen't drop frames :-) - Quite strangely (at least for
> me!) it uses LESS CPU if I use -fs ... Mah! :-)

Done some more experiments, so I'm auto-quoting :-)
Finally I decided to try xvidx (finally something that supports my
Mach64 !). Really impressive - even if there's a "bug" : dha
installation ignores --prefix configure option !
With the same movie, I get 34% (v) and 28% (A) CPU usage.
But xvidx seems not to support fullscreen (well, -fs disables window
title and borders, but doesen't resize image. So I have to do it
manually with -x and -y ... lucky enough the movie is 608x456 and fits
exactly in a 1024x768 sceen :-) ).

mplayer 0.60 was already very good, but cvs versions are MUCH better ...
Why is 0.60 still available for dl ?

BYtE,
 Diego.