[MPlayer-users] mencoder rescaling crashes libmpeg2

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Feb 28 19:18:01 CET 2002

Hi

On Thursday 28 February 2002 17:48, David Kuehling wrote:
> I'm just trying to use mencoder (of MPlayer-20020227) for dvd->divx
> encoding. Everything works great, as long as I don't use scaling. If I
> specify -x, -y or both, I get the following output:
>
> [...]
>
> @@@ libmpeg2 returned from sig11... (bad file?) @@@
> @@@ libmpeg2 returned from sig11... (bad file?) @@@
> @@@ libmpeg2 returned from sig11... (bad file?) @@@
> @@@ libmpeg2 returned from sig11... (bad file?) @@@
> @@@ libmpeg2 returned from sig11... (bad file?) @@@
> @@@ libmpeg2 returned from sig11... (bad file?) @@@
> @@@ libmpeg2 returned from sig11... (bad file?) @@@
>
> [...]
>
> I could try to do some debugging. Any suggestions were to start? Is that
> bug already known to someone?
there is a bug in gcc 2.95.2 which causes alot of the asm blocks to be
misscompiled, if u use 2.95.2 i would recommand to upgrade to 2.95.3 if u use
2.95.3 or 3.0* than please post gdb output of it

i would workaround the 2.95.2 bug but i know of at least 3 misscompiled asm
blocks and imho there will be many more so it would be tricky to find and
workaround them all, and iam not exactly sure how to workaround them either
in the 2 other cases there where only visual glitches and no sig11 or
something so it was pure luck that i found them at all ...

arpi, do u want me to try to workaround them all?

btw. which distributions (except debian potato ;) ) still use 2.95.2

[...]

Michael