[MPlayer-users] Re: Volume Control Suggestion

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Tue Jan 1 13:41:20 CET 2002

Attila Kinali <kinali at gmx.net> wrote:

> Have you ever heard of esd, arts and all the other sound daemons ?
> (iirc there are 4 or 5 of them) They do exactly this and even more.
> Most of them are designed to be network transparent.

Probleme is: The sound gets delayed, at least at my computer (it does
not matter if I use arts or esd), so A and V are desynced. This is
really annoying, I normalle kill those sound daemons before starting
mplpayer.

This delay seems to come from the daemon filling up its buffer.
Decreasing this buffer to 0 results in cracks and other disturbances.
artsd has the ability to use some sort of realtime scheduling, but
toggling this on or off results in no great difference.

Those daemons are fine with not-timecritical audio like mp3s or system
sounds, but are worthless when you are dependant on A/V sync.

But, as always, maybe I am missing something, so please feel free to
flam^Wcorrect me :)

S°

--
BOFH excuse #31: