[MPlayer-users] Re: Problems playing DVDs

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Fri Jan 4 18:57:01 CET 2002

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 04:31:06PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > Sven Hartge <hartge at ds9.argh.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Using libdvdcss, the RC-setting can be ignored, as libdvdcss takes care
> > > of this.
> >
> > By the way, what if you want to play a DVd right of a .vob from your
> > harddrive. Do one need to compile mplayer with the old libcss to
> > accomplish that, since the -dvd flag makes it try the DVD drive?
>
> Yes :(
>
> LGB probised a patch for this long time ago, but never done.
> as libcss conflicts with libdvdread, it's not easy to do.

Well, I've commited that promised patch however it's not perfect.
It requires libcss-0.1 (it won't work with newer version because of the
new API). ./configure should autodetect now (watch the output of ./configure,
you will see two tests for DVD support, one for libcss and one for libdvdread).

Usage in nutshell:

mplayer -csslib /usr/local/lib/libcss.so -dvdauth /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd/video_ts/vts_01_1.vob

where:

-csslib /usr/local/lib/libcss.so    is the path of your libcss (run time
-dvdauth /dev/hdc		    device name of your DVD drive

/mnt/dvd/video_ts/....		    path of the VOB you want to play on the
                                    already mounted (!) disc

MEncoder should work, too.

fibmap_mplayer should be installed in your path as setuid root (however it's
done by make install), OR run mplayer as root.

You can also copy a VOB file to your harddisk. To do it, first play that
file then exit. Please remember the 'title key' (from mplayer output).
Since disc will remain in unlocked state, you can copy the file onto your
hdd. Later, you can play the copied file with:

mplayer -dvdkey 0102030405 my.vob

Where 0102030405 is the title key.

Of course you can use eg 'mplayer -dvd 1' for play a DVD (libdvdread support),
bit this libcss support (alias old-style DVD support) is for mainly testings
and VOB oriented works, not for all users for daily use.

Please send feedback if you find a problem.

- Gabor