[MPlayer-users] poor video quality from mencoder when encoding with sound

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Jan 6 22:44:02 CET 2002

Hi,

> I had posted a message not long back about poor video quality.  I have since
> narrowed the problem down.  If I encode with no sound, the picture quality is
> 100% perfect.  However, if I include sound in the file, the picture quality
> drops SUBSTANTIALLY.  Encoding with PCM output (-oac pcm) gives slightly
> reduced quality (some 'blocks' occur and objects leave minor trails).
> Encoding with mp3lame gives absolutely horrible output for video (sounds
> perfect though...).   I have upgraded to the latest CVS of lame and also the
> latest CVS of mplayer (as of last night) and the problem still remains.
> Please let me know exactly what details are needed and I will post them.

nice problem.
try to collect info about
- does it depend on cpu optimization? (try to disable 3dnow/sse and/or mmx)
- what codecs are used? divx4linux or libavcodec? which version? which options?

maybe some bad interaction (symbol conflict?) between lame and video codec...
(anyway it works fine for me)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu