[MPlayer-users] Re: 2 questions about 2-Pass DivX encoding with mencoder

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Fri Jan 11 00:32:02 CET 2002

Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

>> Ok, I am feeling dumb now:

>> I tried to encode an 29.76 DVD (Slayers Next), used -ofps 23.976 and got
>> those dreaded "duplicate 1 frame(s)" messages. After _not_ using -ofps
>> 23.976 the messages did not occur.

>> So, this DVD is _not_ inverse telecined and contains 29.976 fps of
>> *real* frames?

> yes. it was probably digitalized from ntsc video, not from 24fps cinema
> film and telecined to get ntsc rate.

Yes, I googled a bit and the DVDs were digitalized from the original
master tapes, which where indeed NTSC, but the series was animated at
15fps, just with 2 frames being the same für NTSC.

So, this was my error, I thought, DVDs with 29.976 framerate must have
been always telecined (or what you like to call this).

> it's not easy to detect (it soulhd be possible counting coded frames
> for 10 seconds) and it's not the job of mencoder imho.

Hmm.

If I am right, telecined MPEGs contain only 24fps, but some frames have
an "duplicate me!!!1" flag set.

So, if one encounters an MPEG, which wants to be played at 30fps, but
does _not_ contain those flags, we have a "real" NTSC MPEG.

Or what am I missing here?

S°

--
Fachbegriffe der Informatik - Einfach erklärt
119: Dateimanager