[MPlayer-users] bugreport(?): mencoder segfaults (FAQ)

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Sat Jan 12 00:07:02 CET 2002

Hi

I just wrote a mail to the mplayer-user list, but I couldn't
solve my problem. I assume, that my mail has been ignored
because it was again a simple rtfm question or because there are
no resulutions. Sorry for posting it again:

I use a recent (daily) Debian-sid, linux-2.4.17, libc-2.2.4, 2.95.4,
ld/as 2.11.92.0.12.3 20011121, Pentium III 600Mhz, Matrox G400
DH 32MB. (XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 with DRI, SBLive!)
I use the latest mplayer-cvs.

Everything compiles fine, but if I try to start mencoder,
all I get is a "Segmentation fault", nothing more.
This has been like this for some time but I didn't write to the
list because something like this is already mentioned in the
FAQ (at the end of 5.1). But I have been told me, that this
isn't my problem because I could compile mencoder..
I just wanted to know if there is a simple solution to my
problem or not: Probably I just forget something important...

I have no idea how to write bugreports or to use gdb, so I
just followed the instructions and some advices of a friend:
installed libc6-dbg set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/lib/debug,
make distclean, recompile with --enable-debug, started gdb
mencoder, run, bt, disass...
The strange thing is, that the gdb doesn't give me any symbols(?)
(probably I did something wrong because I have no idea how to
make those things) I also made a ltrace -d and strace of mencoder
and logged the compile warnings. (Is there anything else I could
add?)

Thanks in advance for any help

Jonas