[MPlayer-users] ld error

Tim Keating tkeating at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 15 09:08:02 CET 2002

I cc'd the mplayer list more as an item of interest to them.  The error
message seems to indicate that this is a "ld" problem of some sort on my
machine.
I have seen this error the few time I've tried to compile the cvs versions
of mplayer, in the last couple of days.  I've compiled a number of
different programs (quakeforge, quake2 from quakeforge, blackbox,
pine-4.44) in the last few days.  This is the only place I've had
the ld error.

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/tkeating/build/main/vidix/drivers'
gcc -c -O4 -march=k6 -mcpu=k6 -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer
-D_REENTRANT -fPIC -I. -I.. -Wall -W -o radeon_vid.o radeon_vid.c
ld -L../../libdha -ldha -lm -shared -soname radeon_vid.so -o radeon_vid.so
radeon_vid.o
ld: BFD 2.11.93 20020110 internal error, aborting at elf32-i386.c line 589
in create_got_section

ld: Please report this bug.

make[2]: *** [radeon_vid.so] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/tkeating/build/main/vidix/drivers'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tkeating/build/main/vidix'
make: *** [vidix/libvidix.a] Error 2

This particular occurence of the error occured while compiling cvs version
(#define VERSION "CVS-020115-00:01-2.95.4 ") of mplayer.

$ sh /usr/src/linux/scripts/ver_linux
If some fields are empty or look unusual you may have an old version.
Compare to the current minimal requirements in Documentation/Changes.

Linux darkspace 2.4.18-pre3-prempt-h7 #1 Mon Jan 14 01:01:30 MST 2002 i586
unknown

Gnu C                  2.95.4
Gnu make               3.79.1
util-linux             2.11m
mount                  2.11m
modutils               2.4.12
e2fsprogs              1.25
reiserfsprogs          3.x.0j
Linux C Library        2.2.4
Dynamic linker (ldd)   2.2.4
Procps                 2.0.7
Net-tools              1.60
Kbd                    1.06
Sh-utils               2.0

$ X -version

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to XFree86 at XFree86.Org and patches submitted
to fixes at XFree86.Org.  Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)

XFree86 Version 4.1.99.5 / X Window System
Release Date: 7 January 2002
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.18-pre3 i586 [ELF]
Module Loader present

$ as --version
GNU assembler 2.11.93 20020110

I'm out on the bleeding edge here all right, but "ld" did say "please"

Tim

--
	Heathens. TeX is the only True Religion.
	Note that pi actually  starts  with TeX's version number: 3.14159