[MPlayer-users] Strange behaviour when seeking in mpeg2 files

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Jan 20 22:36:01 CET 2002

Hi,

> Using an MPEG1 or DIVX encoded video doesn't show this big timeshifts.
> Seeking in AVI Files jumps to the declared time. In MPEG1 there is a
> difference about 15-30 seconds.

MPlayer uses the bitrate info of mpeg header for seeking in mpeg streams.
It's not too accurate, and may be broken. In your case it seems to be
totally fscked up. Compare the bitrate printed by mplayer (it's readed from
mpeg header) to real bitrate your files are.

> I've checked this with two different MPEG2 Files. I don't know if this
> issue depends on the fileformat or on mplayer. Does anybody noticed the
> same or does it depend on my files. I created this files from my DVDs
> using transcode v0.6.0pre2-20020115. Maybe it's an encoder issue ???
encoder...
it's known that transcode doesn't really care in fileformat details, it only
fills the minimum to get files playable :(

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu