[MPlayer-users] libdvdcss 1.0 + libdvdread 0.9.2

Tim U. mplayer at tetro.net
Wed Jan 23 14:15:02 CET 2002

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 12:28:03PM +0100, pl wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 09:46:57AM +0100, Alvaro wrote:
> > Another question: don't you think that DVD video quality is much worst
> > in Linux than in windows? Mostly when a image is moving, it shows like
> > horizontal tracks, I don't know how to describe. Probably is the MPEG
> > decoder's fault, I don't know... any fix?
>
> Do you mean interlaced frames (dunno the exact phrase) ?  If that's
> that, try with the postprocess filters (man mplayer & search -npp). As a
> quick hint, '-npp lb' or '-npp de,lb' might be what you want.

     It is probably hard-coded telecined frames.  I have noticed this
on 3 of my 13 DVDs so far.  I just posted a rather long message to
mplayer-dev-eng about it with the subject "Some thoughts on telecine
artifacts".  I haven't played the DVDs with a Windows DVD player yet,
I guess I'll have to see if I can find the InterVideo WinDVD CD-ROM
that came with my DVD-ROM drive.  If it plays these DVDs without
telecine artifacts, that will be encouraging, because maybe that
will mean that there is a way to detect the IVTC offset and/or a
change in the 3:2 sequence during a hard-coded 29.97 FPS segment.

   - Tim