[MPlayer-users] suid and Gtk failure

Miko Rider miko-rider at attbi.com
Thu Jan 24 06:09:01 CET 2002

Hi Folks,

I know that setting mplayer suid isn't recommended but since I'm the
only one that has access
to my machine this isn't a problem. Without suid mplayer doesn't have
access to the hardware
timer and that's enough to make it fail to play DVDs on my machine.

Gtk apparently has a builtin mechanism that makes it refuse to init
correctly if your
program is suid or sgid. So the GUI isn't available. (It comes up but
the menu actions don't
work.  Just gor grin I tried to set the seteuid(getuid()) before gtkinit
is called but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Anyway, anybody else runs mplayer suid and have a workaround for that
GUI problem ?

thanks,

-- Miko