[MPlayer-users] libdvdcss 1.0 + libdvdread 0.9.2

Tim U. mplayer at tetro.net
Thu Jan 24 16:17:01 CET 2002

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 12:28:03PM +0100, pl wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 09:46:57AM +0100, Alvaro wrote:
> > Another question: don't you think that DVD video quality is much worst
> > in Linux than in windows? Mostly when a image is moving, it shows like
> > horizontal tracks, I don't know how to describe. Probably is the MPEG
> > decoder's fault, I don't know... any fix?
>
> Do you mean interlaced frames (dunno the exact phrase) ?  If that's
> that, try with the postprocess filters (man mplayer & search -npp). As a
> quick hint, '-npp lb' or '-npp de,lb' might be what you want.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>   pl

     I've captured a screen shot of mplayer with and without '-npp lb'
for the exact same frame.  You can see that the post processing
blends the scan lines together and makes it nice and smooth, but
doesn't get rid of the telecine artifacts (not that it should, I'm
just saying that '-npp lb' isn't exactly what is needed for movies
with this sort of problem).

Without post-processing:
  http://www.toad.net/~rash/tim/the_saint--withoutpp.jpg
With '-npp lb':
  http://www.toad.net/~rash/tim/the_saint--npp_lb.jpg

Commands I used when taking the screen shot (-fps 4 makes it easy to
pause on a specific frame, -noaspect because scaling distorts the
telecine artifacts):
  mplayer -dvd 1 -nosound -noaspect -vo x11 -ss 10:34 -fps 4
  mplayer -dvd 1 -nosound -noaspect -vo x11 -ss 10:34 -fps 4 -npp lb

  - Tim U.