[MPlayer-users] Re: [GATOS]Odd behaviour

deek deek at Architectre.org
Mon Jan 28 03:15:02 CET 2002

This seems to be application dependant, vice, a driver [GATOS]
implementation. Applications are historically notorious
for substantially different performance depending
upon how they interact with different aspects
of the supporting libraries.

Peter Surda scribbled:

> Hi guys!
>
> I have encountered a very strange problem. When I watch videos with avifile, X
> eats too much CPU (up to 25%). I thought this was because DMA wasn't working,
> but it IS working.
>
> What's strange, when watching the SAME file with mplayer (either with -vo xv
> or -vo sdl:x11), X only eats about 1%. And when watching a DVD with gvlc
> (which is even more data per second), X eats even less, like 0.3%.
>
> I tried disabling dri, but that only worsens the problem: gvlc -> X eats 30%,
> aviplay -> X eats 50%.
>
> I thought it was a problem with SDL so I upgraded to 1.2.2 and recompiled
> avifile (I'm using the 20011220 snapshot), with no change.
>
> So I dug deeper. It seems that calling SDL_DisplayYUVOverlay is causing this
> (if I comment it in renderer.cpp, X eats 0% but of course nothing gets
> displayed). But mplayer ALSO calls it and X is behaving normally. I'm
> completely puzzled. I tried current CVS aviplay as well, situation unchanged.
>
> Could it perhaps be the O(1) scheduler? I don't wanna reboot to older kernel,
> I need my box up...
>
> I have a 2.4.18-pre4+O(1)+preempt, RH 7.1, duron 900, ATI AIW 128, XF86
> 4.1.99.1, current CVS gatos and gatos' drm. mtrr is on.
>
> WTF is happening?
>
> Bye,
>
> Peter Surda (Shurdeek) <shurdeek at panorama.sth.ac.at>, ICQ 10236103, +436505122023
>
> --
>             Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
>      teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

Interesting stats though...

--
  Issued as is without warranty of any kind; without even the
  implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a

  the unofficial official GATOS irc at:
  irc.openprojects.net #gatos-ati
	# Ross Coleman
-----