[MPlayer-users] NVidia will be bannished

daniel carter hedonist at win.co.nz
Tue Jan 29 00:08:02 CET 2002

Alan Wilter Sousa da Silva wrote:

> I really regret the day when I buy my GeForce.  Since I only found
> out later, there's no open source drivers for such graphic-card (by now I
> don't know).

XFree86 has had an opensource driver for a long time

>  And since Nvidia seems not be interest about Linux since
> they don't give graphic-card parameters so Linux developers can make an
> appropriate driver, I really recommend to not buy Nvidia products if you
> intend to run Linux box at full power.

Your argument is invalid, there can be many reasons why nvidia don't give
graphic-card paremeters to linux developers.  It does not follow from that
fact that nvidia is not interested in linux.  In fact the available evidence
paints quite the opposite picture.

If you want to run an x86 linux box at full power then install the
NVIDIA drivers that NVIDIA themselves develop, they have many more features
than the opensource drivers.

>         Such Nvidia proprietary solution can make the card rock but it's
> worse than using Winblows.

Since replacing the default opensource driver with the nvidia one, the
experience of using my machine has not become windows like.

I'm very satisfied with my purchase, it's good to at last be using a graphics
card that has top notch support under linux.  Better support than i have ever
experience for any hardware component in fact.  The open source driver for my
previous S3 card was very unstable.  And all the extras are supported too,
better than under windows even.  Accelerated video on the 2nd head, can't do
that on windows, you just get an blank window if you drag a movie to the 2nd
head.

nvidia geforce tv-out + mplayer + dvd drive.  A winning combination IMHO.