[MPlayer-users] Re: [expert] NVidia will be bannished

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Wed Jan 30 09:05:02 CET 2002

Hello, Jan!

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:40:44 -0700 you wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 11:56:42AM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> @>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>
> @>But sorry - every company sometime perform full revision of internal structure
> @>of their products. (same as 286 and 386 intel's cpus).
>
> You'd think so, but nvidia has managed to support several generations
> of video cards (TNT, TNT2, GeForce, GeForce2, GeForce3 and GeForce4)
> with one driver. And there have been some significant changes in the
> cards over that time.

I'm amazed ;) Indeed, ATI has released w2k driver which supports every chip
from Rage128 upto Radeon2. It's no problem to implement driver which will
consists from set of other drivers. But NVidia performed the similar changes
as ATI. Else - why Alex can't implement vidix driver for latest NVidia chips?
He said that it would be possible to support only very old chips!!!
Indeed nvidia has the same changes but its w2k drivers are "All In One".
Please try study begin of this thread and parent thread: vidix for NVidia
Vanta 6.2.
> @>[snip]
> @>>
> @>> The only nit I have to pick with nVidia is that they haven't provided a
> @>> LinuxPPC driver yet. I understand that's it's prolly not as easy as their
> @>> Intel driver, but now that Apple is only selling nVidia hardware, they
> @>> really need to buck up and give us a LinuxPPC driver.
> @>>
> @>PPC always was closed platform and as result its place on the market is less
> @>of 15% agains of open, expandable IBM's platform. (Even if PPC is faster of Intel's cpus)
>
> Don't fool yourself into thinking ideology won the day. Apple made
> some brutal decisions in its past, and they paid for them, but most of
> them were related to marketing and business, not ideology.

I'm not interesting in causes of that. I know that Apple did unexpandable platform first!
This mean that there were no free slot for new HW and so on.

TO STOP THIS FLAME AND OFFTOPICS:
Do you want to use proprietary closed driver and software? Use it.
I prefer use open schemes. Maybe Nvidia does right things. But I never
purchase its chips. It looks the same as closed documentation for
Intel cpus for expample ;) Could you imagine self that every programmer
uses Intel C/C++ without alternative?
You will be wait until NVidia will implement something that's good for you.
But I'm going too implement HW postprocessing for radeons! (That is mplayer specific
and will never be implement by NVidia). What is better? Think it again please.