[MPlayer-users] 42 was: Comments on Joe Barrs MPlayer critizism

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jan 31 00:01:01 CET 2002

Hi,

> 	There is at least 1 MPlayer developer (me) that does want a more
> user-friendly MPlayer system. My end-goal is to be able to aim MPlayer at
> any media file and make it play without any further argument. That's a

hmm. i've just got an idea to solve the -ni problem...
i'll change avi demuxer to be able to switch between interleaved and
noninterleaved modes runtime. so if it detects buffer overflow, it
could try to switch to -ni mode first. btw with -cache it won't work, as
cache kills cpu/hdd with -ni

> 	I'd like to point out, however, that the reason I hack on this is
> *not* because I am trying to further the cause of open source and the free
> software movement, as some would foolishly surmise. It has much more to do
> with the fact that *I* want a particular tool that fits *my* needs. It's
> all about me, me, me...:) The benefit that other users derive is a
> side-effect of the benefit that I derive. Any other MPlayer developers
> with me on this?
I completely agree.
But as you can see, users always think we're all working hard to make THEIR
life better and they are very upset if something doesn't work or isn't
supported. They never think that we're doing this for ourself, in our spare
time, and they should be happy as we share this instead of blaming us.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu