[MPlayer-users] performance...

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jan 31 00:11:01 CET 2002

Hi,

> > hey, who needs windows any more? :)
>
> Anyone who wants smooth (judder free) video -- especially on TV.
>
> There is not a single (that I have discovered yet and I have been at
> it a while as many here and on V4L list will atest) workable solution
> on Linux to get video out to a TV, with a nice bright, judder free
> picture.
>
> The only possibility that I know of to get judder free video on either
> a monitor or TV in Linux is using a Matrox G400.  I don't think there
the DVB card (and i think dxr3 too) does the job very well.

> is any other video card providing VSYNC syncronization (in Linux
> drivers anyway).  Even at that it is unstable.  Using syncfb from
> Mplayer project causes my box to hang after a while playing and
> Mplayer does not work with CVS version of syncfb.  mga_vid is supposed
> to perform VSYNC operation of syncfb but my testing shows far more
> judder with -vo mga on framebuffer than -vo syncfb on framebuffer.
mga_vid contains improved vsync code based on syncfb...
anyway, syncfb contains TV specific stuff, mga_vid is for monitor usage

> However in order to get hardware scaled accelerated output to TV on
> G400 you must use framebuffer and that provides a much darker picture
> than on Xwindow or even VESA with my Radeon doing the same job.  Too
> dark to be acceptable in fact.
it's ok for me... nothing is dark. maybe broken card? (crtc2/dac2)

> Not to even mention the inability to get the G400 to "fill" the TV
> screen with framebuffer timings.  I have fat black bars on the left
> and right of the TV and the picture stretches too far off the top and
> bottom of the screen.  The aspect ratio is horrible.
it's ok for me too. i could change timings to get filled my tv.
and gabucino could do that too.

> Now, if I use Xing mpeg player (or WMP for that matter) on Windows98
> with my G400 and using Matrox' "DVDMax" feature to duplicate overlay
> to TV-Out display, the picture is bright, smooth (no judder) and fills
> the geometry of the TV screen perfectly.
>
> I wish oh so badly I could achieve the same results with Linux.
you may have to RTFM :) and RTFS...
at leats, if windows can set up right timinsg for your tv, you must be able
to do the same under linux, maybe you have to play few minutes with fbset
to reach it.

about brightness: add support for that into mga_vid.
the card can do that, but i didn't implement as i didn't need it.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu