[MPlayer-users] performance...

Brian J. Murrell 0cf2f3cd4e756c33bdd6bd9064b964a2 at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Jan 31 07:49:02 CET 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 02:21:05PM +1300, dan carter wrote:

> What do you mean judder free?

I mean play a stream recorded from CNN (any channel that has a smooth
running banner on the screen i.e. stock ticker) and watch the smooth
news banner on the bottom of the screen.  Is it as smooth running from
Mplayer on your TV as it is from broadcast TV?  And I mean
_as_smooth_.  Not close, not "nearly the same".  It should be as
smooth as broadcast TV and can be with the G400 and syncfb.  syncfb is
just unstable (hangs my box after a while) and the G400 output was
dark -- darker than the same output on my Radeon card.

> I have nice bright fullscreen (well about 0.3 cm left and right black
> bar... but i haven't played with the tv output timings yet) video output
> to my TV from linux with an NVIDIA card.  There are no quality problems
> that i have noticed...

As I understand it, unless Mplayer's timing of loading/displaying the
frame into the display card is in sync with the VSYNC of the display,
there will be judder.  I don't think there is any way around timing
with VSYNC.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell