[MPlayer-users] Compiler stuff...

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jan 31 14:25:02 CET 2002

Hi,

> > At first, does anyone has any expierience of
> > Intel 6.0 C/C++ compiler with mplayer 6.0 ?
> 	If you talk about icc forget it. I tried, it can't even compile one file from
> 	mplayer because it support only a few of gcc's c extensions. It can't parse
> 	many header used in mplayer and lack support for inline asm. So even if it
> 	could compile the plain c stuff you should forget about all asm optimization :((
> 	This compiler must first support all gcc extension before we can really try it with
> 	mplayer.
> 		Albeu

Sometimes I try it and benchmark it.
I use it only for compiling C files of codecs, like libavcodec and libmpeg2.
Anyway, there are few C-only files causing the compiler to crash :)
About 2 monts ago, i've got ~20% speedup when i recompiled a few files of
libavcodec with icc. Now I got 10% slowdown, thanks to Michael's
asm optimizations. So I don't recommend icc for mplayer now.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu