[MPlayer-users] mencoder: ripping a dvd to a 700MB avi questions

Haas Wernfried amnenion at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jul 4 10:48:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 11:47:32PM -0700, Farrell Farahbod wrote:
> also: when i use the previously mentioned command to get my frameno.avi
> file with vbr mp3 audio, the file is a little less than 1MB per minute
> of audio--which seems to me like quite a waste for a movie in most
> cases...i have set the quality to 9....the lowest...so i dont understand
> why the size is so big. is there another option for lame i should use to
> reduce the size while loosing very little noticable loss in quality?
the q-value does not determine the size, but the algorithms used in mp3
encoding, where q=0 means best, but very slow and q=9 means fast encoding and
poor quality. q=2 seems quite useful and is recommendet (look at lame-manpage
for details)
what you are looking for is the -V n   0 <= n <= 9 switch, which does
determine the file size.
i know this problem, i once mixed up these two switches myself ;)

> for lame, whats the compression ration setting do? set how well (fast?)
> it compresses to mp3?
man lame: --comp arg
              Instead  of  choosing  bitrate,  using this option,
              user can choose compression ratio to achieve.

> what is pcm audio?
not sure about this: normal uncompressed audio (a.k.a. .wav)

don't know exactly about all the other questions, sorry.

regards
	wernfried

-> Wernfried Haas - w.haas at xover.mud.at / amnenion at xover.mud.at
-> Homepage: http://xover.mud.at/~amnenion