[MPlayer-users] mediocre results when dvd-ripping/encoding

gabor farkas gabor at realtime.sk
Sat Jul 6 12:56:01 CEST 2002

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 10:48:56PM -0700, Farrell Farahbod wrote:
> i started a thread a couple days back....and i have learned a lot since
> then, but i still don't get the results i'm looking for. maybe i just
> want more than i get get in a 700MB AVI, however i'm sure i have seen
> AVIs under 700MB with better quality video.
>
> im trying to encode a raw dvd-rip to a 700MB avi, and i currently use
> the following ofr my 3-pass encodeing:
>
> mencoder From_Russia_With_Love.avi -ovc frameno -oac mp3lame -lameopts
> abr:br=96:mode=1 -o frameno.avi
>
> Recommended video bitrate for 700MB CD: 751
>
> mencoder From_Russia_With_Love.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=751:vhq:vqmin=1:vqmax=31:vpass=1 -vop
> scale=640:400 -sws 2 -o movie.avi
>
> ^^^^^^^^ no...br is toooo low! i get a result of a much smaller
> file--about 500-600MB, not the 700MB i want... So I try a higher one...
>
> mencoder From_Russia_With_Love.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:vhq:vqmin=1:vqmax=31:vpass=1 -vop
> scale=640:400 -sws 2 -o movie.avi
>
> I still don't get the quality i want, and have seen in other 700MB AVIs.
> Also: two things...
>
> 1. Why is the br i get after using lame to encode my audio too low?

once i had a 120mb 4minute-long video really badly encoded (pcm audio and such )
so i re-encoded the audio into mp3=? i got a 85mb file... but it was
interlaced=>i wanted to deinterlace it..so i used -vop pp -npp
something,
with -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=XXX,
where XXX was calculated, so i would get a 80Mb file.... and i got a
40mb file

i tried every possible lavc switch, mailed mplayer-users etc. but
couldn't rellyget it abouve 50Mb... and after some time someone told me,
that simply lavc is soo good that there isn't any moreinfo  hecould
encode so he encoded all the info he colud get into 40mb... and btw. the
quality of the 40mb file was ok..

now for other files when i encode lavc produces filesizes really  near
to waht i specify...so maybe the guy  was right with that
no-more-info-to-encode thing

i don't know if this applies to your problem, but hope it helps

bye,
gabor