[MPlayer-users] tweaking the MP3

steffen stef22 at gmx.de
Sun Jul 7 11:34:01 CEST 2002

Am Sonntag, 7. Juli 2002 10:46 schrieb Florin Andrei:

> On Sun, 2002-07-07 at 01:33, steffen wrote:
> > now I would say an abr of 128 kbps for vbr-mp3 is the best to use.
>
> Ok, so, now in LAME-speak: we can choose between ABR and VBR. Which one
> is the way to go? (and of course, why?)

I think I've said all. If I say an average bitrate of 128kbps and vbr-mp3 ,
then if you read the text in the link you post , it is of course abr-mp3. And
since ogg-vorbis sounds a lot better on the same bitrate , if there was a way
to put it a/v-sync-safe in a container it would be the thing to use. That all
depend highly on the video u use, since if you want to archieve some news
from tv u didn't need a high-quality sound.

And your question on how it plays on win: vbr-mp3 /abr-mp3 / ogg-vorbis /ac3
was discussed a lot of times in the win-world ( look in the forum on
doom9.org since doom9 ist the No. 1 ressource in the win-world. And I don't
think this discussion is mplayer related, since it is to generally. But this
are just my 2 cent ...

Greets

Steffen