[MPlayer-users] Re: [MPlayer-users] ASF patenting ?

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sat Jul 13 08:00:02 CEST 2002

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 05:00:15PM -0300, Alejandro Néstor Vargas wrote:
> Julien WAJSBERG dijo:
> > I just found this article about ASF and Virtuadub. It's quite old, so
> > maybe it has already been discussed here, but I would like to know your
> > opinion :)
> >
> > http://www.advogato.org/article/101.html
> >
> > It says particularly that transcoding from ASF to another format is
> > forbidden (and mencoder can do that).
>
> Well... killing people is forbidden and guns can do that...
>
> Mencoder is not a program for transcoding from asf to anoter. It is for
> transcoding various formats, then, nobody can say the people who made
> mencoder made a program for transcoding asf.

Well, you're right ... in theory. However eg in Hungary you must pay for
raw CD-R medias a fee which includes some amount of money for copyright
issues: they assume that you will use it to store somewhat illegal MP3s
and other stuffs on it (even if you don't want to do that).

Or just think about the issue of MP3 players when RIAA sued an MP3 player
manufacturer because these kind of player are CAPABLE OF playing illegal

- Gábor (larta'H)