[MPlayer-users] DVD RPC

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Wed Jul 17 12:14:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 11:59:03AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,

> > > it's tricky. read about libdvdcss...
> >
> > Well, I've got a "Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-105S 012, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM
> > drive", and it was set to region code 1, which is strange since Hungary is
> > part of area of region code 2. However I was brave enough to simply fresh
> > the firmware of my drive with an unkown stuff found by google :) Now there
> > is NO region controll stuff in my drive :)
>
> unneeded...
> i've bougt a sony dvd driver half year ago, and used it without region code
> being setting. after few months, i've set it to region 1, but it still plays
> region2 with mplayer.  no firmware hacks or others - libdvdcss just ignores
> the region setting.

Hmmm, I think region code is about drive too. At least when I first tried to
play my 'The Matrix' (region code 2) with my brand new drive (set to region
code 1 by default), it refuses to play, spoofing my log file with kernel
messages about region code mismatches I/O error or something similar I can't
remember exactly. So the drive itself can controll this process, as you can
see ...

- Gábor (larta'H)