[MPlayer-users] DVD RPC (fwd)

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jul 17 22:18:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > HmmHmm, it's quite strange though :) At least my kernel got I/O errors in
> > the IDE channel because of region code mismatch (according to eg output of
> > 'dmesg'). Nevermind, however it's quite strange topic ... The 'somehow'
> > in your sentence is also will be interesting to know exactly the way :)
>
> Hi,
>
> AFAIK the drives do region code check in firmware themselves (well
not really.
they use region code in the authentication (key decryption).
yes, soem new DVD disc has program to check region code, but it isn't
interpreted by mplayer, just by the dvdnav stuff.

> that's probably the reason why so many guys (girls:) are making
> region-free firmwares on the net). But it's also known that some
they do it for windows lamers

> no-name manufacturers (mostly Taiwan, HK) are selling region-lock-free
yes, like sony? and teac? afaik the libdvdcss trick works with any dvd
drivers, the driver cannot do anyhting against it, a sit workarounds teh
whole key exchange process.

please, befre you all tell that region code does matter, go to the videolan
site and read the docs of libdvdcss. it explains how does it ignores it.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team