[MPlayer-users] mencoder on large/multiple files

Frank W. Samuelson frank at merrill-samuelson.com
Thu Jul 18 09:45:02 CEST 2002

Let me preface by saying that mencoder is great.
It's nice to have a tool that works on virtually
any format.

Now the question:
I capture stuff using Nuppel Video and convert it to
MPEG4/DIVX4 using mencoder.  But Nuppel breaks output >2GB
into <2GB chunks.  I want to encode these chunks into a single
MPEG4/DIVX4 file.  I'm on a 1.5 GHz Athlon, RH7.3, gcc3 compiler,
using the .9pre5 code.   With mencoder I tried:

1. Specifying multiple input files:
mencoder   -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4  -oac mp3lame -lameopts q=5 -o test\
  -pass 1   bud.nuv bud2.nuv
   but it only encoded the first file.

2.  cat bud.nuv bud2.nuv | mencoder   -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 \
  -oac mp3lame -lameopts q=5 -o test -pass 1  -
but this Seg faults after about 120 frames.  (Let me know if you want a core or
something.)

3.  I concatenate the .nuv files.  mencoder reads and encodes right
over the file boundaries, Great!  But when mencoder hits 2GBs of input it
just stops and wraps up, even if configured with --enable-largefiles.

Is there something else I need to do?
Thanks for any help.

Frank