[MPlayer-users] RTC Permission

Haas Wernfried amnenion at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jul 19 02:51:02 CEST 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 11:52:24AM +0300, Adrian Codre wrote:
> On Thursday 18 July 2002 06:56, Jose wrote:
> > I installed mplayer and it runs but allways give me this message
> >
> > *Linux RTC init error: Permission denied
> > Using usleep() timing*
> >
> > I already have been reading two emails from the mail list but didn't
> > work and one i didn't understand
> > Can u help me with this?
> >

> > Thanks
> > Jose Melo
> >

> become root and do: su +s /usr/local/bin/mplayer (or replace with your path)
you forgot about this part which is also featured in the FAQ:
-- snip --
      !!!! BUT STAY TUNED !!!!
      This is a *BIG* security risk! *NEVER* do this on a server or on a
      computer that you do not control
      completely because other users can gain root privileges through SUID
      root MPlayer!!!
      !!!! SO YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ... !!!!
-- snip --

of course risk is quite low, but i think posting "chmod +s something"
should include some warning, shouldn't it?
regards,
	 wernfried
PS: maybe i'm wrong, didn't sleep much the last days...

-> Wernfried Haas - w.haas at xover.mud.at / amnenion at xover.mud.at
-> Homepage: http://xover.mud.at/~amnenion
-> Beutelland: http://bl.mud.at