[MPlayer-users] DVB-s/DVD/mp3/vdr-Box

Steffen stef22 at gmx.de
Sat Jul 20 11:36:01 CEST 2002

Hi there !

Because a lot of you have more knowledge in hardware than me I will ask here.
If there is another good place to ask and I'm totally wrong here, please give
me an advice ...

I plan to build a Multimedia-Box for watching TV over DVB-s and play
DVD/divx/all sort of avi ... It will run Linux with mplayer/vdr/maybe ogle
till mplayer-dvdnav work. TV-Out should be over the dvb-s-card and now i'm
tottally confused on what mainboard to use.

First I thought to use a via eden, but since I dont trust in the performance
of that board , I asked my computer-store on what he have. Now I see there a
celeron A with 1,1GHz (85 EUR) and maybe a Gigabyte 6veml (via
ple133/VGA,ac97,RTL8100-LAN onboard)(81 EUR) or a 6iem (only with ac97
onborad and i815e chipset) (109 EUR)

It should be very quite and run stable. Has anyone tried such a thing, does
anybody know a good address on where to ask, or anyone an advice on what to
buy ?

Thanks in advance

Steffen