[MPlayer-users] Re: best encoder ?

Karsten Müller kmu at ratio.de
Mon Jul 22 22:11:01 CEST 2002

Martin Hoffmann wrote:
> I guess you should add "-vop pp" and "-npp lb" to deinterlace the source -
> since a lot VDR recordings are interlaced !
> Otherwise you will get a lot of interlacing stripes !

Hmmm...never saw something like that... but I'll try :) Does it have an
effect on the resulting size ?

> btw: When using XVID with interlacing turned on, you do not need to
> deinterlace an the picture will look more sharp (no motion blurring) -
> However if you do not intend to playback on tv set then deinterlacing is the
> best method !
>
> @Karsten Müller: You can also get my vdr2divx scripts for automatic conversion
> at http://ma.hoff.bei.t-online.de/2divx/ - 1.53 is the latest - new one will
> follow !

I know, and I had a look at it. It produced way to big DIVX files for me
(at least since I discovered that it doesn't convert AC3 sound to mp3 ;)
) and it still uses old pass and divx4opts instead of lavcopts. It also,
correct me if I'm wrong, does no cropping at all (which I consider a
tough thing to do automagically) :)

What will be different in the new version you mentioned ?

> Martin.

[...]

--
with best regards