[MPlayer-users] today's Real announcement

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Jul 23 02:13:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > What is open source? Or where? The helix site the link points to contains
> > binary-only evaluation version of their products :(
> >
> > Anyway i doubt they will release source for codecs, just maybe for
> > unencrypted communication. So it's not so usefull then.
> >

> > A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team
> >
> > --
> > Developer of MPlayer, the Movie Player for Linux - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu
>
> Yes, is open source!
> the source code of client was liberated on 3 months, and source code of
> server on December, see licenses:
> http://www.helixcommunity.org/content/licenses.html

Reading the thread on slashdot, including comments from some
realnetworks-employee, it seems they won't release any secrets. just the
source of implementation of the open network protocols, like RTP/RTSP.
They don't plan to release source for any codecs (they call them "jewels") and
i'm pretty sure they won't release the crypto part of their RTP
implementation making pay-per-view services possible.
So, they actually do the same, as Microsoft did with SAMBA or ASF 1.0 details,
they release it some time after being reverse engineered, with a very very
restrictive license disallowing using them for production (their license is
for 'educational purposes only'). So, it's just shit. It's against open
source community with the slogen 'we like open source'... clever.
Don't be blind, don't believe everything...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team