[MPlayer-users] big trouble: machine locks up hard with "mplayer -vo xv"

Nilmoni Deb ndeb at ece.cmu.edu
Tue Jul 23 06:35:01 CEST 2002

Hi,
	I have been using mplayer for more than a year now and this is the
1st time I am facing this problem. I am using current cvs. Whenever I run
mplayer with '-vo xv', the machine locks up hard. Manual reset is the only
way. I have reproduced the problem at least 5 times today. I have _never_
faced this problem with older cvs (the last one I used was Jun13, 2002)

My video hardware details:

km133 prosavage video (on-board, device id 8a26)
driver version 1.1.23 (compiled for X-4.2.0) from http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html
X version is 4.2.0 (mandrake-8.2)

I must admit that this video chipset has had a hard-lockup issue with
X-4.1.0 (see http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html), with XINE (when
using the Xv driver and X >= 4.1.0), and other programs such as xvattr
(see http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/xpert/2002-January/015183.html).

However, I have never seen it happen with previous versions of mplayer
until today. So I decided to roll back to "cvs update -D 2002/6/13" and
checked that this cvs works fine.

I am guessing some Xv function call in this period has brought about this
change.

Any help is welcome.

thanks
- Nil