[MPlayer-users] Re: best encoder ?

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Tue Jul 23 08:20:02 CEST 2002

Hi.

> Personally I would just recommend scaling down vertically by about
> 1/2, then there's no reason not to deinterlace since you're losing
> half the lines anyway -- no additional "blurring" as you claim.

This does not always work. My Ally McBeal DVDs (bought in Germany) have
some VERY strange interlaced pictures. If you take only the odd or only
the even lines (that's what you would do if you scaled down to half the
height) then the pictures still show interlacing artefacts. An example:
The full picture
http://www.bunkus.org/deinterlacing/int.png
Only the even lines
http://www.bunkus.org/deinterlacing/even.png
Only the odd lines
http://www.bunkus.org/deinterlacing/odd.png

> Also, black borders make it impossible to play the movie on slow
> computers since lots of memory bandwidth is wasted copying nothing.

That's not true. The black borders themself don't take that much
bandwidth or processing power - the problem is that the transition from
the picture to the black borders make the codecs waste a lot of
bandwidth. So it's often better to either crop the black bars
completely or even to take away some lines from the picture itself in
order to get width and height divisable by 16.

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)