[MPlayer-users] Playing mp3s with broken frames and detecting codecs

Andrew Martin ugly at inhuman.org
Wed Jul 24 04:36:01 CEST 2002

Hello,

I find mplayer makes a great command line mp3 player except for one
detail: playing mp3s with broken frames.  Playing these mp3s in other
players (XMMS, mpg321, etc.) yields no skip in audio or other problems,
but mplayer simply reports "Broken frame 0x51A1AC" and similar.  I've
looked through 'man mplayer' but I don't see any way to force playing
of mp3s like this.  Some mp3s with broken frames, interestingly enough,
have a strange error message.  Mplayer says they're encrypted VOBs
(they are definitely not VOBs):

Encrypted VOB file (not compiled with libcss support)! Read file
DOCS/cd-dvd.html
MPEG: FATAL: EOF while searching for sequence header
Video: can't read properties
Detected audio codec: [mp3] afm:1 (MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, sfmt: 0x10 (2 bps), ratio: 24000->176400 (192.0
kbit)
AO: [oss] 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
Video: no video!!!
Start playing...
A:   0.2  2.6% 0%
Broken frame at 0x376C0

Any workarounds would be appreciated.

I'm also wondering, on a different subject, if it's possible to use
mplayer to detect what codec was used to encode an mp3.

-Andrew