[MPlayer-users] TV very slow after reinstall

Pierric Descamps pierric at descamps.net
Wed Jul 24 16:15:02 CEST 2002

Hello,

I'm switching my Linux distribution (slack -> gentoo), and I've got following
problem: the TV decoding in mplayer under gentoo is somehow very slow, as if I
was trying to play a DivX on an old machine (but I've got an Athlon XP1600+
and gkrellm says my CPU has 80% free or so). DivX playing makes no problem.
When I switch to slackware, the TV image is perfect. Under gentoo and with
xawTV, it isn't slow. But with both programs in gentoo my signal is somehow
parasited (and not with slack), I don't know if it has something to do with
it. So, to resume:

System : Athlon XP, nvidia TNT2, XFree 4.2.0 under gentoo (slack : XF 4.1.0),
Hauppage TV tuner
Mplayer version : cvs 20020720 ( slack : cvs 20020428 )
With Slackware, my old system  : no problem
With Gentoo, my new system :
   with xawtv : parasited picture (1cm of the monitor size moving irregularly
in the middle)
   with mplayer  : the same as with xawtv, and slow-motion-like video, though
CPU is not overwhelmed

I suppose the parasite thing has nothing to do with Mplayer, but maybe someone
knows. And as the slow motion only happens with mplayer, there must be
something to do that you can tell me. At least I hope so. :-)

Thanks in advance,
Pierric.

Pierric DESCAMPS                      ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
E-Mail    :   pierric at descamps.net     `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)
Web-Site  :   http://descamps.net      (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
Jabber-ID :   pierric at tipic.com      _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'
 "The pen is mightier than the sword."
 Yes, but only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp.
 				-- Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic