[MPlayer-users] tool to test cropping

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Wed Jul 24 22:19:01 CEST 2002

On 02.07.24 Arpi pressed the following keys:

> > PS. Obviously I meen gui tool of some sort if I want to actually see the
> > picture ;) But the command line tool that would show me what I want to
> > see based on command line parameters will do.
> >
> > [1] with possibility to seek another if selected one is too dark to see
> >  the black borders
>
> run mplayer with yoru crop parameters - you can watch it cropped/resized and
> if you're statisfied you can replace mplayer by mencoder and add other encoding
> options.

Not exactly what I meant. I won't see what was left out after
crop. I need to clearly see the whole resized picture _and_ the portion
of picture outside the crop bounds. Why? Read on.

> also, RTFM about -vop cropdetect, it may do the job for you
> automagically...

I did RTFM ;) and that won't do. DVDs sometimes have some distorted areas
near the black borders[1] or near the edge[2] that will stay after
cropdetect. They are not visible when watching movie on TV because they
usually end up outside of the visible area of tv screen.

This is a distortion, and quite hard to compress so leaving them on the
movie is just a waste of bandwith. That's why I usually try to get rid
of it.

Robert

[1] resulting from complexity of encoding black border/image area
[2] resulting from some optical effect during transfer

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35