[MPlayer-users] Re: [MPlayer-users] Concatenation of two AVI

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Jul 26 01:28:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > If you can do mplayer avi1.avi avi2.avi avi3.avi and it plays the 3 files one
> > after the other, why mencoder can't do the same thing?
>
> I wouldn't know where to begin to actually implement, but would it work if
i know where should i begin it...

> you 'strip' the index, then cat the contained stream(s) to mencoder and
> create a new index for the entire new stream?  Kinda like the feature
> currently used when 'fixing' a broken index using the copy function.

the problem is that mplayer core has something called playtree, a hierarchy
tree of playlists containing filenames/urls with complete set of commandline
options for each - it's required for mplayer to allow using different option
for files or file groups. but for mencoder, it should open the files
paralel and the encoding options between them shouldn't change...

with teh currect code, you could do things like:

mencoder 1.avi -ovc divx4 2.avi -ovc lavc ...

yes, there is a way to make some options global, but it's just one of the
problems. as soon as mencoder starts using it, it should cope with playlists
and all the messy things playtree contains...

the main problems are the global demuxer options and variables - it isn't
reentrant (yet) but encoding multiple files requires that.

we've plans for improving/redesigning libmpdemux, but i'm busy with work
atm, and others aren't so interested in it...

so, be patient, it's on my TODO for very long time

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team