[MPlayer-users] Playing from a DVD image

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Sat Jul 27 21:24:02 CEST 2002

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 20:05:59 +0200
Haas Wernfried <amnenion at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> oops, i think i didn't express myself clearly ;)
> i ment that i got the errors already when i tried to cat /dev/dvd > imagefile
> don't really remember what kind of errormessage it was (was there one?)
> but i produced images with size of a few megs (and of course not really
> everything on it). are your dvds used in that case protected by css?
> if yes, either dd works where cat fails or my dvd drive sucks ;)
>
> regards
> 	wernfried

Oh if the error occurs during cat /dev/dvd > imagefile it may mean 2 things

a) Your dvd contains errors
b) You are trying to read still locked sectors.

I guess its b). If you insert or reinsert a dvd in your drive it first
denies every access to the locked sectors in which the movie is contained.
It does not lock data such as bonus material for PCs and the like.
Those sectors get unlocked when the drive is authenticated.

So, try to play a few seconds of the dvd (using mplayer for example) and
then try cat without reinserting the dvd. It should work now.
But mind you, you also will need a filesystem which can handle files >2 GB
(this excludes ext2) and >4GB (this excludes fat32). I am using reiserfs
for this.

regards
Clemens