[MPlayer-users] audio in avi

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jul 31 21:27:02 CEST 2002

> On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 12:33, Arpi wrote:
> > > 1. cbr mp3. is that safe everywhere?
> > it should be safe, but its' known that some windows players crashes/dislike
> > mencoder/s cbr mp3 avis, dunno why, i don't have windows to test/fix...
> i could try and test it.. any more info? which windows player etc?
dunno
mencoder's cbr mp3 files work well with linux palyers, but there were
several reports about crashing/nonworking win32 playback... STFA

> > > 2. vbr/abr mp3. is that safe? is the final avi playable on windows?
> > it's a hack, but works with any decent windows players, including wmp
> > some old win32 video editing tools dislike it
> > dunno about osx etc
>
> so we can say this is the recommended?
for linux/win, yes
for mac, i would suggest .mov

> > > 3. vorbis audio ( in an avi) ... does it work? is that correct?
> > dunno, tehre are several variants, the first mode never worked,
> > but i've seen other samples that works more-or-less, but i'm pretty sure
> > it's a big messy nasty hack and only mplayer and windows players supporting
> > the dshow ogg filter can play that
>
> btw. is ogg-muxing (i'm talking about ogg-containers not vorbis audio) +
> corrections to the ogg-playing(it has problems)  planned?
yes

> or you think that that ogg with video thing is too undocumented and
> mplayer won't support it?

probably it will... but i'm personally not too interested in this
vorbis-in-ogg-in-vorbis-in-avi-in-avi-in-wtf mess...
albeu worked a lot to get this mess working, with more or less succes,s but
he's away now for some months... so volunteers needed

it's not only undocumented, but there are several incompatible versions out
there...

> i personally quite like the idea of using vorbis audio and ogg seems
> like a good choice... are there any know problems with that ogg-format?
only problems, i can't see the advantages of .ogg
vorbis audio may be good, but the .ogg as container is a bad choice

> i thinks it's called oggds or what ( maybe because they were dshow
> filters)
i've heard several names and seen several dlls and samples...
but not enough samples to worth to care...
(i've access to several sites with movies but no one of them has films in
.ogm/ogg/vorbis-in-.avi files - so i'm pretty sure its' only used by newbies)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team