[MPlayer-users] A/V sync problems

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Sat Jun 1 17:15:00 CEST 2002

Hello,

I keep having very strange synchronization problems. Usually on broken
DivX files, but I've even had them on DVD:s!

Sometimes the A/V sync adjustment features works to resolve
synchronization problems; and sometimes manually specifying the correct
framerate works.

But not always. I keep running into situations where the video seems to
slowly glide off sync, more and more. The real-time A/V sync controls
only have a temporary effect. For example, suppose the video is 5
seconsd ahead of the sound. If I resync the sound, it will de-sync
almost immediately and go back to 5 seconds ahead. However this is done
much faster than the "normal glide". It's as if mplayer is dead set on
playing the movie a *bit* too fast; and when I attempt to correct it it
accelerates playback even more until it's sufficiently de-synced for its
own diabolical satisfaction - at which point it goes back to playing it
just a *bit* too fast again, slowly increasing the time offset.

Manually settings a framerate does not work in these instances.

*And*, this usually occurs after I use the fast-forward/fast-backward
feature. In other words, there is usually no sync problem if I just let
it play normally. But as soon as I jump back or forth I'm doomed and the
only way to resume watching without A/V sync problems is to play it from
the beginning. *Pausing* playback is safe though.

What's going on? Is there anything I can do? Is there some system
configuration that may affect this? -idx never has any effect; neither
does -bpp; and not even the -softsleep switch.

I get the feeling I'm in the minority having these problems. I suppose I
can understand broken DivX files - but even DVD:s?

Thanks,

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org