[MPlayer-users] Re: Re: thinking about mpeg4 licence etc.

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Mon Jun 3 01:45:02 CEST 2002

no. it's not possible with mplayer,and as far as i know, the avi as a
container format is not well suited for variable-bitrate-audio ( and
vorbis is a variablebitrate format)...

a better way would be ogg containers + libavcodec (divx) or xvid video +
vorbis audio, and it's possible to do it on windows.. i triead and
managed to create a xvid-video+vorbis-audio+ogg-container video file
playable on windows ( and should-be-playable on linux too, but i haven't
tryed)..

but there's no ogg and no vorbis support in mencoder, i don't know if
it's planned or not..

on windows it's easy to do that because you don't need an
ogg-capable-encoder.. you only need an ogg-codec, a xvid codec and a
vorbis codec. and then you graphically create a graph like structure of
codecs and the data flows thru the graph and gets converted encoded
decoded muxed demuxed hacked :-) whatever.

i like that architecture a lot...

i'm just thinking, wouldn't be possible to create such a system for
linux? i kind of like the idea of downloading a codec, installing it,
and now EVERY application works with that..

is that a bad idea?

bye,
gabor