[MPlayer-users] macrovision

Ross Lippert ripper at eskimo.com
Mon Jun 3 21:08:01 CEST 2002

Ok this was really weird.  I was using pre4 and doing

mplayer -dvd 2 /dev/dvd -dumpstream -dumpfile track2.vob

and it is zipping along pulling out hundreds of megs a second
of a track which should be about 1.6G and at about the 1.3G
mark is slows down to a tiny trickle of less than 1 k per sec.

I did this many times and it always happened that way.

I decided to use the -ss and -sb options to start re-reading
from somewhere around there, thinking that if I could get it
to start fresh from the problem area it would zip along again and
I could paste the two vob's together with some icky effort.

Didn't work.

I also tried -chapter to select the vob.  The problem starts
at chapter 7 and is also present in 8.  If I do

mplayer -dvd 2 -chapter 7 /dev/dvd.......

it just goes slowly.

OK, so do I have a damaged disk?  I thought.  So I did:

1) start up track and hit right arrow until I am near the end and see
   what happens.  Freeze!
2) start with the -ss option about 40 minutes in and see what happens
   Copyright, Macrovision quality control or some such splash screen
   appears.  Macrovision?  WTF?

Has anyone seen this kind of stuff before?

Oh yeah, and so far all the other titles from this dvd collection rip
fine.

-r