[MPlayer-users] libavcodec - encoding with bframes

Michal Seliga michal.seliga at visicom.sk
Wed Jun 5 10:14:02 CEST 2002

I uploaded testfile&outputs to ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/,
find file named:

libavcodec-broken_divx_encoding_with_bframes.tar.bz2

complete bugreport included in archive

Mplayer is CVS version from 4.6.2002
libavcodec is CVS version from 4.6.2002
Mandrake 8.2
gcc 3.0.4

problem: when I compress test.mpg with libavcodec to divx with no B frames it looks
good. If I use B frames there is green stripe at the left side of image. It always
worked well with mplayer version 0.90pre4 and libavcodec included in its archive...

btw. is it possible to generate divx video stream with B frames compatible with
windows divx? Because almost everyone has divx5 installed and it is hard to
persuade people to install ffdshow codecs... (Once I got reply that divx5 is buggy but
maybe it is possible to workaround its bugs somehow...).

And if divx video stream has B frames, shouldn't it have DX50 code in avi?

And can someone tell me what does this strange divx features mean, what is their
advantages (speed, size, quality...) and if they are supported by libavcodec (both
encodeing and decoding)? I mean Quarter Pixel and GMC.