[MPlayer-users] how to trace the memory leak?

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jun 6 00:21:01 CEST 2002

On Saturday 18 May 2002 18:17, Michal Seliga wrote:
> I think that my version of mplayer (0.90pre4) eats too much memory.
>
> I played CD with 18 movies (nu pogodi) with mplayer -fs *.avi and I used ->
> and <- keys very much because I have seen most of them so I rewinded to the
> 'interesting' parts only.
>
> After 12-13th movie my computer starteded to swap as hell, few dock
> application in my window maker were killed but mplayer kept running. maybe
> for minute... and then died with single message 'killed'. After then
> computer worked normally, so it had to be mplayer who started this. I have
> 256MB RAM + 16MB swap (I found free space on the disk...)

You can use gdb and njamd or electric fence memory debuggers.
Basically you do gdb mplayer
> set LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/nameofmemdebuggerlib.so
> r <your options>
if a memleak occurs, mplayer will be stopped, make sure you don't do it with
-fs as you may not be able to access the system then f it stops.

Also read the docs of njamd or ef to get the details how to use it.
--
Best Regards,
        Atmos